Knife, food processor or mandolin?
Frankly, the mandolin, or v-slicer, is not as easy to use as it appears, and well, it’s potentially very, very dangerous. If you have the correct knife and decent knife skills, you probably wouldn’t look for any other vegetable slicing method.
While I am pretty good wielding a knife, I have to say that I do love my new food processor. The slicing disk attachment sliced my sweet potatoes and onions in thirty seconds.
But is it worth the extra dishes?
Happy pizza month everyone!
Sweet Potato and Goat’s Cheese Pizza
Recipe makes two 30cm pizzas. Recipe adapted from Australian Good Taste, April 2012
- 2 teaspoons dried yeast
- 1 teaspoon caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 250ml warm water
- 375g all-purpose flour
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 60ml extra virgin olive oil
- 460g sweet potato (peeled and thinly sliced)
- 1 small red onion (halved and thinly sliced)
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary (finely chopped)
- ¼ cup pine nuts
- 100g mozzarella (grated)
- 120g soft goat’s cheese (crumbled)
- 150g rocket
- 1 ½ fresh lemon juice
- In a bowl, combine the yeast, sugar and warm water. Mix, cover and set aside in a warm spot for about ten minutes, or until the mixture is frothy.
- Sift the flour and the salt into a separate bowl. Add the yeast mixture and mix to combine into a dough.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead for about ten minutes, or until it’s smooth and elastic.
- Place the dough in a large, lightly oiled bowl and turn once to coat the dough in oil. Cover with cling wrap and set aside in a warm spot for 1 hour, or until the dough has doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 240°C.
- Lightly grease two oven trays.
- Turn the dough out again onto a lightly floured surface and knead for a couple of minutes until smooth.
- Separate the dough into two equal portions and roll each portion into rounds or rectangles.
- Combine the garlic and 3 teaspoons of oil and brush over the two pizza bases.
- Toss the sweet potato, onion, rosemary and 3 teaspoons of oil until combined and spread evenly over the pizza bases.
- Scatter each pizza base evenly with pine nuts, mozzarella and goat’s cheese.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until the sweet potato is tender and the pizza base is crisp.
- Place the rocket, lemon juice and remaining oil in a bowl and toss to combine. Scatter over the cooked pizza and serve.