I both love and loath grocery shopping. I love the sudden burst of inspiration that comes from stumbling across a new seasonal ingredient or a new flavour of something. I loath, first and foremost, navigating around stupid people or aisle hogs. I also get very, very miffed when by chosen brand of something is out of stock or no longer carried. Most of all though, I hate having to go to the supermarket more than twice a week.
I always have leftover bread after the mandatory toast on weekends to mop up whatever egg dish I have created for breakfast. So there’s at least one sandwich ‘meal’ per week to make sure the rest of the loaf is used up. I think people either underestimate a really good sandwich, or they forget that the filling possibilities are almost endless and can be extremely creative.
These vegetarian club sandwiches need to be prepared fresh as there are quite a few wet ingredients that will make the bread turn soggy, and we all know that soggy food is just wrong, don’t we?
Served with a crisp, green salad, they make a fast, satisfying and mostly healthy dinner.
Vegetarian Club Sandwiches
Makes 2 club sandwiches
- 6 slices of bread
- 80g rocket leaves (approx.)
- 4 tomatoes (thickly sliced)
- 2 carrots (peeled and grated)
- 1 Avocado (cut in half, pitted)
- 4 tablespoons hummus dip (store-bought or homemade)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 20g fetta (optional)
- Toast all of the bread slices.
- Scoop out the avocado into a small bowl and smash it with a fork. Add the lime juice and stir to combine.
- Spread four slices of toast with the smashed avocado. Set aside two of the slices.
- On the remaining two slices, top with half the rocket, half the tomato slices and half of the grated carrot.
- Spread a tablespoon of hummus dip on the two undressed slices of toast, and place them, hummus side down, on top of the grated carrots.
- Carefully spread the remaining hummus dip on the other side of each piece of toast.
- Top each hummus toast with the remaining rocket, tomato slices and grated carrot. Sprinkle with crumbled fetta, if using.
- Finish off by adding the remaining two slices of avocado toast.